Write Off Your Moving Expenses

Blog Post Image

Write Off Your Moving Expenses

Moving expenses are tax deductible if:

l Your new job or job transfer is at least 50 miles farther from your home than the old house was. l you had no previous job, the new one has to be at least 50 miles from your old house. l your move makes your commute shorter than it was prior to the move. l you are in the armed forces and had a permanent change of station. l you’re working full-time (you expect to work at least 39 weeks out of the next 12 months). l you incur expenses within one year from the day you reported to work at your new job.

The required length of time is waived in cases of a new job for members of the armed forces, those transferred by an employer, those who lost a job through no fault of their own, and those returning to the United States from abroad when they retire (or their survivors).

Call us for more details at 312-475-3260